Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Wonder Hostess is NOT a Thrift Store (Isn't my face red!)

So today was the day that I had set aside to donate our collected collection of Twilight books to the local Wonder Hostess Thrift Store. So this morning, after personal prayer, family scripture study, family prayer, breakfast and getting the kids to school, I got down (or rather up off my knees) to the work of the day. I began by preparing a lovely lesson for the sisters to use in visiting teaching, then I wrote an inspirational update for the ward newsletter. And just for fun, I designed and crafted 3 dozen fellowshipping cards from my personal scrapbooking supply in the craft room, for our sisters to take to the less actives and apostates in the ward. I also crafted one special card that I myself will take to our dear Sister Jensen as I am deeply conderned about her becoming a full blown apostate. (I have reason to suspect her, you know!)

Then I remembered that I was supposed to take the "donated" books to the thrift store. So I loaded all 36 books into the Suburban and drove up to Orem to make our generous donation. Well, you can well imagine my surprise when I arrived and carried the first heavy box of books into the store and discovered that it's not really a thrift shop after all. IT'S A BAKERY! Okay not really a bakery, but they do have ONLY baked goods. How was I supposed to know?? It has the words Thrift Store right in the name. I did ask them if they would take the books, but they said no, they don't do that. (I was able to give one set to the cashier, which was okay because I could tell she was definitely not a member and therefore was already corrupted.) For a moment I just stood there not knowing what to do. But then I decided that as long as I was there, I might as well pick up a few loafs of Wonder Bread that I plan to donate to the Aaronic Priesthood on Sunday for use in the Sacrament. I mean, I'm sure they have some already, but this bread was just so White and Delightsome that I thought it would elevate the spiritual tone of Sacrament meeting.

So after I left the Wonder Hostess NOT-a-thrift-store I drove to the D.I. I know this was not an ideal place to leave the books, but I thought it was worth a shot. I spoke with a Sister Johansen there who could have been, quite frankly, a lot more polite. She simply refused to accept the books. I persisted and pointed out that this was really the sort of decision that should be made by the proper Priesthood authority. Then that little snit went and got her HUSBAND, and he told me that HE was the highest priesthood authority for donations and that he supported his wife's decision. I am trying to have charity in my heart for this dear missionary couple, but I have to say, it's probably going to require some more prayer. Brother Johansen told me that Deseret Industries cannot accept any books that Deseret Book has refused because the two names are too similar and they don't want to confuse the saints. That makes sense, so I guess I can't be too upset by the whole thing.

After this second setback I put my shoulder to the wheel once more and finally found a charity willing to take these books of suspect content off my hands. I don't want to say the name of the charity, because I don't want to encourage members to donate outside of the churches well defined and authorized humanitarian aid system. I only persisted, because I felt like "the ox was in the mire". And believe me, I consulted with my dear husband and patriarch, Hyrum, before I made the final decision. So let me just say that the books have found a fitting home and we have built a small amount of Good Will with the ultimate recipients of the books.

This whole episode has been a bit trying and upsetting to me. I really shouldn't be writing this blog right now, because I would rather be doing some scripture study, but I felt like my stewardship required that I communicate today's events with all my dear sisters in the ward.
Now I'm off to begin my personal scripture study. Maybe I'll begin with a short prayer for inspiration on whether or not I should finish watching this season of Dancing with the Stars. I'll try to keep in mind that dear sister Marie Osmond did so well last season (or was it two seasons ago), and she can be an inspiration to us all. Please, dear sisters, pray for me tonight that I might receive the personal inspiration that I need so I can continue in my calling to serve you.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry this comment comes so late. I just found your blog today.

    Once I'd filled the margins of my copy of Breaking Dawn with snarky comments, I gave it to my son's friend's Scout troop to use at last weeks shooting practice.

    The girl in the Team Edward t-shirt has since regained consciousness and no longer needs to be on oxygen. Unfortunately, SMeyer still has my money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am confused. I thought Stephanie Meyer was a good Mormon mother, and that the Twilight books were as packed with LDS metaphor as the original Battlestar Gallactica. Did Sisiter Meyer have a falling out with leadership or something?

    ReplyDelete